What is VPS Hosting And How VPS Works
If you are thinking about purchasing web hosting then you must have heard about shared, VPS and dedicated web hosting. Today we will explain VPS web hosting here and explain in detail about the advantages and disadvantages of VPS. After this post you can decide why you should take VPS hosting?
You need good hosting for your website because no matter how good your website and business depends on internet hosting, and when it comes to hosting a business website as an internet pr host, it is very important to choose a good hosting.
Because a good hosting can make your online business even bigger and can even end. In today’s date, many different web-hosting plans are available and it is necessary to choose cost effective, good and suitable hosting for your business. VPS started a few years ago, growing very quickly and made its mark and today web hosting has become a very demanding service.
What is VPS:
The full form of VPS is virtual private server and it is also known as virtual personal server. There are many physical servers in any data centers. When a machine is created by virtually dividing the resources (memory, storage, cpu etc) of a physical server with the help of software, this process is called virtualization. To create VPS, virtual machines are created with the help of virtualization software (such as hyperv, Vmware etc) on the physical server.
This machine hosted on physical server is called virtual machine. This virtual machine uses the resources of the physical server. Many VMs can be created on any physical server according to its hardware resources. Any OS can be installed on virtual machine. When a customer takes VPS service, the hosing companies give one of the VMs hosted on the physical server to the customer and the customer uses the operating system, disc space, and bandwidth as per their requirement on this virtual private server.
Basically using a concept of virtualization on a physical server, many customized virtual machines are made, which are called VPS. Whenever someone is given access to VPS, then he can only see that VPS machine and not the entire physical server. The user can work in the virtual server’s OS by login as if it is a physical machine such as rebooting the machine, any software can be installed etc. But VPS is a term that creates confusion in many people and business because it works like both shared and dedicated hosting and is considered as the solution’s solution.
VPS Web Host:
Now it works like a dedicated server, it can be a good interim solution for websites that need a dedicated server in the future, but now they can mange from VPS only according to traffic. VPS hosting is also called hybrid hosting because it works like a dedicated server apart from being a shared environment on a physical server, hence it is said that it works as a bridge between shared hosting and dedicated hosting. VPS is also called virtual dedicated server (VDS).
Virtual shared server involves fair shared bandwidth and usage policy compared to shared hosting. If you host a website on VPS, then your site will not share resources from any other site like shared hosting. Even your site is live in that partitioned server area where you have your own operating system, storage, RAM, and monthly data transfer limits and this is the reason why you expect smooth more-stable site performance in VPS.
Who uses VPS Hosting?
The need of VPS hosting is most often when your website is on shared hosting and due to its limited resources, your website is not able to perform well and at the same time your budget is not very much. In this case, you can choose VPS web hosting as an alternate solution of dedicated hosting in low budget.
VPS hosting is also good for those people who know the limitation of shared hosting and want dedicated hosting because of the limitation of their website shared hosting. This can also be a good solution for those who understand technology and want more control over the hosting environment. VPS hosting gives more freedom and root access to Apache and PHP in a low budget. With this, you can install SSL certificate and any other type of software.
In Shared hosting, you are dependent on the resources and platform provided while in VPS you can choose the configuration and platform according to your need.
How a VPS Works
How VPS works: Any VPS web hosting is used to host virtualization software such as hyperV, VMware etc. on any physical server. Once the virtualization software is installed on a physical server, virtual machines are created according to the customer’s demand, which is called VPS. An operating system is installed on every virtual machine and from the resources of the physical server RAM, hard disk, CPU etc. resources are allocated to the machine. Customers can only access the VM’s OS and not the physical server.
In this way, many VMs (depending on how many hardware resources of the physical machine) can be created on this one server, which are accessible to different customers.
What are the advantages of VPS hosting:
- In comparison to the traditional shared web hosting service, the VPS hosting customer has full access to the OS, in which the customer can configure the VPS according to their requirement.
- VPS web hosting gives you more power and control, as well as the benefits of a dedicated server available at a lower cost.
- In VPS, your website or files are not shared with any other website, so this privacy is maintained.
- Customization can be done easily in VPS. VPS has its own OS, so you have your own instance of different server applications such as apache, mysql, PDP, so if you need to customize any service, you can.
- The resources of your machine are not shared with any other website user in the VPS server, so you have dedicated RAM, storage, which the website can fully utilize.
Disadvantages of VPS hosting:
- Most of the VPS use small organization or users who want to take the benefits of dedicated hosting at a low price, but VPS also has some disadvantages –
- VPS is technical as compared to Shared web hosting, therefore customer is required to have technical knowledge. This is a self managed hosting, in which the customer mange his own server instance and if the customer does not have the technical knowledge then a little trouble can come.
- It is expensive compared to shared hosting for those small user websites or organizations who do not need dedicated hosting service but have to take VPS only because of website traffic and bandwidth.
After reading this post you must have understood that VPS hosting is ideal for small and medium size businesses who want to maintain increase web traffic at low cost. By increasing the traffic and user on the website, as well as opting for VPS service, you can ensure that the site visitor does not face any kind of performance issue. If you use shared hosting now, one main reason to move to VPS hosting is resource utilization. This does not mean that the website will be running slow but it means to handle more web pages and traffic.